Thursday, September 6, 2007

The good Judge Robert presiding... (pt. 3 of 5)

Mid-70's:
I don't even know where to begin with this incarnation of Crimson. This has always been my favorite era, and I don't predict that that willl change during the current listening. Talk about a monster band. Bruford ('William' as he's credited on Starless) is amazing as always. No offence to any of the other fine bass players throughout the King's history, but nobody had the monster tone that Wetton had. And Cross and Fripp dance around one another while piercing into your brain. Not only is the song writing top-notch proggy-type goodness, but the improvising is so tight that all improvising rock bands should be forced to sit down and listen to the Great Deceiver box-set before they are allowed to jam again. My only regret is that the incredibly talented Jamie Muir is only present on Lark's Tongue. His various precussives add a level to that album that I think the other two studio albums and the live set lack. Perhaps I'll just have to improve my Music Improvisation Company collection before I get to M.

No comments: